There are many appealing girls’ getaways here in the Burlington area whether you are a visitor or a local looking for a staycation.
Here are a few ideas which you can mix and match to suit the time you have, your budget, the season and your gal-pals interests.
To help you determine the best time to visit we have also highlighted some prime weekends where more things are happening in the city.
We are happy to help tailor your getaway by giving you other ideas– just call us at 1.877.499.9989 or 905.634.5594.
Retail Therapy Heaven
A favorite activity for visitors is shopping! With two shopping centres and numerous other popular and unique retail destinations, you can spend all weekend and not see the same old, same old. A perfect girls day out is meeting a friend downtown to browse the fabulous fashion and home furnishing stores, then enjoy a leisurely lunch at one of the quaint outdoor cafes and take a walk along the pier and promenade all the way to the canal and lift bridge and finish off the day with a gelato …heaven!
- Fashion – Joelles, Forever Summer Swimsuits and Mirella’s, (downtown) Marshalls, LuLulemon, Coach, etc. Mapleview Centre,
- Brides – Promises and Lace, Brant Florist (downtown)
- Shoes – (yes it has to have its own category) – DSW and Factory Shoe Outlet
- Jewelry – Harmony Fine Jewellers
- Home Furnishing – Fairhome, Pure Boutique, In House, Elizabeth Interiors, IKEA, HomeSense (Burlington Centre & Appleby Line), Interior Design House
- Outdoor Adventure – Mountain Equipment Coop, Sail
- Antiques – Summer Fields Antiques, T.J’s Antiques & Collectibles, Mizener’s Flea Market
- Garden and Outdoor Living – Lee Valley, Royal Botanical Gardens Gift Shop, Centro Garden (downtown)
- Kids (shop for ‘em don’t bring ‘em!) – ToysRUs, Mastermind Toys, Mapleview Centre, Burlington Centre
- Beauty – Anise Natural Apothecary & Sephora and Kiehl’s (Mapleview Centre)
- Bookstore – A Different Drummer Books
For a city of its’ size Burlington is very fortunate to have a thriving local arts scene with various galleries featuring talented area and Canadian artists, plus some cool public art installations. You can get really hands-on by taking one of the interesting and creative courses and get in touch with your inner artist! We often purchase gifts for visiting dignitaries, departing board members, and special recognition items from the gift shops at Art Gallery of Burlington or the Royal Botanical Gardens as they are often one of a kind and a great memento from Burlington. Another great option is Central Library which has a Makerspace where you can register for programs and make interesting items.
- Classes– Art Gallery of Burlington, Royal Botanical Gardens (RBG), Pure Boutique Furniture Painting, Burlington Public Library, Art of Learning
- Shops – RBG, AGB
- Theatre– Burlington Performing Arts Centre, Theatre Burlington, Drury Lane Theatre, etc.
Going to a spa is an indulgence that many of us don’t treat ourselves to so it is a perfect outing for a girls getaway whether for a special occasion (wedding, post-baby, birthday) or just because. Being pampered, having a relaxing massage, enjoying a glass of wine or specialty tea, and chatting with your BFF is one of those small luxuries that help reduce stress and rejuvenate you. In Burlington we have some wonderful day spas and other services that you can enjoy including:
- Sanctuary Day Spa – Leading Spas of Canada
- JeSpa (has chocolate treatments)
- Spa at the Village
- Stillwater Float Spa
- Blo Blow Dry Bar
- NexWellness Integrative Health Centre
Best Weekends – anytime!
For those who want to get educated as well as entertained here are a few ideas:
- Screeners – Award-winning movies from the Toronto International Film Festival are shown the 2nd Wednesday of each month.
- A Different Drummer Bookstore –independent bookstore in downtown which hosted author events
If you are looking for something fun to do once the sun goes down, the entertainment scene has live music, dancing, and comedy. Downtown Burlington is hopping with lots of night spots to enjoy a drink, dance or catch a band. Movie buffs can find more than just chick-flicks on the big screen at various theatres around the city including Silver City which features games, lounge, club rooms, bowling, pool tables and much more. Further uptown, Burlington is the centre for comedy clubs and nightclubs where it is always party time!
- Midtown Night Clubs – Club 54
- Historic Downtown Pub Crawl – The Dickens Pub, The Poacher, The Queen’s Head
- Downtown Digs – Fuel Lounge (Joe Dog’s), S.B. Prime, B& B Grill & Taphouse, Cinestarz
- Live Music – weekend nights throughout city – numerous locations
If you like to be active while getting away from it all, being situated along the waterfront and minutes from the escarpment means Burlington has many active choices. In spring/summer the girls can enjoy swimming, paddling, walking, hiking, cycling at the waterfront, in local parks or conservation areas. In cooler weather, there are indoor options for fitness, sports of all sorts, climbing etc. Why not stay in a local hotel and cycle or hike and then enjoy a massage? Here are a few of the more unique opportunities… call us for more ideas or check the website:
- Burlington Beach Rentals (seasonal) – paddleboats, stand-up boards, kayaks, canoes, beach spots, yoga classes, and Girlfriend Friday Retreats
- Climbers Rock – indoor climbing wall
- Bowling – Burlington Bowl, Splitsville
- Golf – Tyandaga Golf Course, Faraway Greens – indoor golf simulation
- Outdoor Rock Climbing
- Road Races/Runs – various (see below)
- Fun Activities (blog)
- Robbie Burns Run – last Sunday in January
- Chilly Half Marathon – 1st Sunday in March
- Around the Bay Race – last Sunday in March
- Epic Tour Grand Fondo – weekend after Labour day
- Santa 5k Run – Weekend day in December
Let’s face it, often getaways involve discovering great food. When you come to Burlington you may be surprised by the wonderful variety of culinary experiences and we encourage you to discover our local terroir (taste of the earth). If you like to combine learning with dining, a number of local restaurants encourage you to find your inner chef! Choose from cooking classes, demonstrations or enjoy award-winning cuisine and chefs. Make sure to check out the calendar for information on the next culinary experience! I have attended the cooking school at Paradiso several times and it was a wonderful night out where we worked in teams, learned new recipes and enjoyed the fruits of our labour. Bon Appetit!
- Paradiso Restaurant – classes, wine tasting, restaurant
- Goodness Me – classes, retail
- LCBO – Millcroft – classes, retail
- Nickel Brook Brewery – tours, samples, retail
- Burlington Winter Beer Fest – January
- Taste of Burlington Fixed price dining program Winter – End of February – March – Summer mid-end August
- Lakeside a la Carte – August
- Canada’s Largest Ribfest – Labour day weekend
Best Weekends – ANYTIME
You simply can’t have a girls get-together without stopping for a bite once or twice. With over 400 dining establishments in Burlington, there is something to suit all types and budgets. Here are a few suggestions, visit our website for many more.
- Location, Location – great views – Spencer’s, B&B Taphouse
- Cute & Quaint – Lakeshore Coffee House, Tamp Coffee Co.
- Upscale & Trendy – Carriage House – CAA 4 Diamond, Martini House
- Lusciously Local – Spencers at the Waterfront
- Quick & Tasty – Burlington Charcoal Pit, R.C.’s Boardwalk Fries & Ice cream (seasonal), Easterbrooks Hotdogs Aldershot
- Forget the Diet – The Works, Gelato (seasonal), Cakes, Sweets & Treats, Kelly’s Bake Shoppe, Nothing Bundt Cake
- Good 4 U – Lettuce Love Cafe and Pure Love Smoothie Bar, Bodhi Bar, Boon Burger Cafe,
- Late Night – Montforts, Luganos Pizza (see restaurant page for all open late options)
Best Dates: During A Taste of Burlington program
Stay When You Getaway
If you want to get the full girls getaway experience you have to pack an overnight bag and actually get-away! You can do the slumber party thing and talk into the night over a glass of wine and indulge in some treats bought along the way. Stay at your choice of accommodations at local hotels.
Camping (seasonal) – okay you may not want to rough it but you could try a yurt at Bronte Creek Provincial Park or cabin at KOA which is more glamping than camping!
Enjoy your getaway.