Burlington Visitor FAQ

Question marks

We are here to help, so we have compiled a list of FAQs (frequently asked questions) to help you plan your trip to our city. If your question is not on this list, contact us, our friendly travel counsellors will be happy to assist you.


Do I need a VISA to enter Canada?

For information regarding visas and entry requirements for Canada, contact Immigration Canada at 1.888.242.2100 (in Canada). Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is a Canadian visa entry requirement for travelers from countries that, in the past, did not need a visa for entry (US citizens excluded). From outside Canada, please contact the Canadian Embassy, High Commission, or consulate in your region.

Where can I exchange money?

We recommend that you use Canadian currency when traveling in Canada. Visitors can exchange currency at Canadian chartered banks, trust companies, credit unions, or offices of foreign exchange brokers. It is advised to have local currency on hand before arriving.

Where do I find emergency information about Burlington?

An emergency or disaster can happen at any time. You can be sure that the City of Burlington and its partners will work together to respond to the situation and communicate updates to residents and visitors. For further information, visit the City of Burlington Emergency Plan & Preparedness page. For links to local emergency services click here.

I am a visitor in Ontario – do I require an International Driver Permit (IDP) from my own country?

If you are visiting Ontario for less than 3 months and want to drive while you are here, you can use a valid driver’s license from your own province, state, or country.

Where is the closest CAA?

The Burlington CAA is located on 3480 Fairview St. between Walkers and Guelph Line, 905.632.6772.

Where can RV’s and buses park to access the visitors centre and/or the downtown core?

Buses visiting our visitor centre can unload passengers in the commercial loading zone on the east side of Locust St. across from our building. Once unloaded, we will redirect drivers to parking spaces close by.

There are no RV/Bus parking spots at the waterfront; however, you may park at the Art Gallery of Burlington off Elgin Street – parking fees apply.

How do I arrange for my visitors to park overnight on the street?

The City of Burlington offers “temporary on-street parking” as a short-term solution to residents who may have parking needs that can not be fulfilled in their garage or on their driveway.

Where do you go to deal with City Parking Tickets?

City Hall has a parking office on the main floor that is open Monday to Friday from 8:30 am-4:30 pm. You can also pay for tickets online or by phone.

Speeding Tickets have to be paid at the Provincial Offenses Courthouse, 4085 Palladium Way, Burlington, ON L7M 2A6 905.637.4125

Where can I find information on housing/rentals in the area?

You can find frequently updated information on housing and rentals:

Where are public outdoor pools/splash pads located?

Also, refer to the Water Sports page.

How do I know if it is safe to swim in Lake Ontario?

The Halton Region Health Department tests the water quality weekly. They will advise the public about the safety of Lake Ontario’s water for swimming.

Where can I rent a boat/canoe/see-do?

  • Burlington Beach Rentals – 1094 Lakeshore Rd., Burlington 1.287.337.0808 (also have Stand Up Paddleboards and Sunbrellas for rent)
  • Beach Marine – Canoes/Kayaks – 1127 Beach Blvd., 905.545.4745 (Hamilton)
  • Kelso Conservation Area – Kayaks/Paddleboats/Sailboards, 905.878.5011 (Milton)

See also Water Sports

Where can I go fishing in Burlington?

Opportunities to fish are plentiful in Burlington. Find out more @ fishing.

How do I contact the Teen Tour Band?

Canada’s Musical Ambassadors, the Burlington Teen Tour Band, can be contacted as follows:


Phone: 905-335-7807 – for BTTB & Junior Redcoats 905-335-7600 #7947 – for Music Lessions 905-335-7600 #7808 – The Music Centre & general enquiries

Email: bttb@burlington.ca – For the BTTB and Junior Redcoats music@burlington.ca – For Music Lessons and The Music Centre

Mail: 426 Brant Street PO Box 5013 Burlington, ON, Canada L7R 3Z6 Courier/location: 2311 New Street Burlington, ON, Canada L7R 1J4


What is showing at the Burlington Performing Art Centre?

The Burlington Performing Arts Centre offers performances, events, and activities for residents and visitors to enjoy. Check out their calendar of events.


Where can I rent a bicycle?


Burlington is a great place to cycle and enjoy the waterfront, escarpment, and everything in-between. Visit our cycling page for further information about rentals, routes, bike repair shops, welcome cyclist locations, etc. The Visitor Information Centre at 414 Locust St. is a cycle-friendly facility. We have bike racks outside the centre and in the parking garage, a water refill station, a bicycle repair kit, and public washrooms.  We do not have bicycles for rent at the Visitor Centre.  


Where are leash-free parks or pet-friendly accommodations in Burlington?


Visit the pet-friendly page for information about traveling and visiting with your four-legged friends.


Where can I find information about the Great Waterfront Trail?

Visit the Waterfront Trail website or the Gardens & Parks section of our website for information.